Monday, January 22, 2007

Soup for Curing what Ails Ye!


I made this soup for gerg when he came home from the hospital.
We ate it for a couple meals with oyster crackers.
You can leave the crockpot on for several hours without ruining the flavor or texture of this recipe.

Garden Vegetable Soup

1 qt. vegetable stock
2 cups of water
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 potato, diced
1 onion, minced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1 10 oz package frozen peas
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen sweet corn
5 crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp of garlic, minced
1-2 tsp. sea salt (or you can use regular salt, but the flavor won't be as good)
2 tsp. marjoram
2 tsp. basil
1 bay leaf
¼ c. parsley
1 tbsp celery salt
2 tbsp olive oil
2 pats of butter

THE METHOD:
Just put this stuff in the Crock-Pot and let cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.

2 comments:

Missy said...

oh, I just got my first crock pot! I will check these all out.

Anonymous said...

I read your Blog and printed off a copy of your veggie soup and mac and cheese. That soup is heavenly. I changed a couple things in it as I didn't have all the ingredients you had listed.

I doubled the recipe and used 1 qt chicken broth and 1 quart water. I included broccoli and cauliflower, a combo of veggies which included pea pods, carrots and something else, a couple layers of 1/2 onion, and brussel sprouts cut in half.

Because my slow cooker wasn't big enough for all this I used my roaster and let me tell you girl I have never tasted anything so good in all my life. I never was a soup eater except Campbell's Chicken Noodle but since I met your uncle I'm learning to eat much more and this soup was stupendous. The olive oil and butter I think brought the whole thing together.

Greg is getting one heck of a good cook. I'm looking forward to trying the Mac and Cheese next.

Love you!

Aunt Shirley